Home  |   About us  |   Partner with AWC  |   Login      


Welcome to AWC’s online library of Legislative Bulletin and CityVoice news articles and other updates.

Published on Friday, January 25, 2013

Bill creates process to notify adult family homes if a sex offender is looking to live there

HB 1125, introduced by Rep. Hurst (D-Pierce County), establishes a process for notifying an adult family home when a person who is required to register as a sex offender is being released from confinement and is seeking residency in that facility.

Currently, when a person required to register as a sex offender is three months from their proposed release date, the Department of Corrections must notify the prosecuting attorney and county in which the person was charged. Upon release, the offender must notify their local sheriff’s office. Washington law currently requires public agencies to release information to the public regarding sex offenders. Commonly, jurisdictions adopt a policy that upon receiving the notice that a Level II or III sex offender will be residing in their jurisdiction, many mail information to the surrounding residences.

HB 1125 creates a process specifically for an adult family home to get notice that a sex offender may live at that location. The adult family home would receive the notice three months before the person is scheduled to be released. The bill also requires staff of these adult homes to receive special training to protect current residents as well as care for the person entering the home.

HB1125 is scheduled for public hearing in the House Public Safety Committee at 8am on January 29.

Categories: Law & justice